Sunday 31 July 2011

Day 22 - Rest day Ballycastle - 25 kms

A 3rd consecutive day of sun and "scorching" 20C temperatures constituted a heatwave according to locals as we took a rest day after 5 consecutive days of riding.

With the b&b spectacularly positioned we clambered down cliff steps to view the romantically positioned ruins of Kinbane castle jutting out on a steep headland overlooking the Antrim coast an ideal place for Kev and I to comtemplate the highs and lows of the trip / endurance trial to date

A test of nerve at Carrick a Rede !
After clambering back we took the bikes out sans bike gear to the touristy Carrick a Rede a small rope bridge strung out over a 90ft ocean drop to a nearby Island

Henley "I'm not afraid of heights" (the same bloke who never sleeps in the afternoon) followed closely behind me while I attempted to film trying  not to look down. Almost straight away a high pitched scream pierced the silent conditions "I'm not doing it - I want my mummy" unable to look back I queried Henley on the other side who indicated a 7 yr old had baulked on the bridge and become hysterical - as I don't recall a 7 year old behind me and as the scream sounded vaguely familiar I intend to review the tape and will shortly advise!

After riding back to town (8 miles)we loaded up for dinner just in time to see the sea mist roll in followed by rain signalling an end to our great weather.

Tommorrow is a daunting 120km ride on main roads through Londonderry to Letterkenny something I'm not looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment