Wednesday 13 July 2011

On the road !

Have you ever wondered what goes through the mind of a long distance cyclist? I have found a fairly routine pattern in the UK - it usually starts with "I wonder if that 5th sausage I had for breakfast will last the first hill"!

Comfort and safety thoughts soon follow listening for any unusual bike sounds which can be difficult with ambient traffic and Henley's flatulence - wondering whether that slab of cream you put on will actually feel later like you havent messed yourself and generally hoping that those passing trucks don't suck the surrounding countryside and you with it into their vortex.

There comes a spiritual period before lunch - the vivid colours of the landscape, being at one with nature and self a heartbeat that follows a universal rhythm then periodically screams in protest.

For me it's usually after lunch that I become philosophical eg - why is that a country that had engineers like Brunel in the 18th c still can't work out how to design a shower that doesn't alternatively scald then freeze you !

There's a period of nothingness other than the sound of the spinning hub that usually signals time for a cuppa and a chance to get off road from drivers that although incredibly courteous think speed signs are there for advice or as a minimum requirement!

The day finishes with thoughts of loved ones and friends, the days journey and a hope that tonight Kev will let me have the right side of the bed!

1 comment:

  1. Mike I am disappointed, I though that I was the only one you slept with. So another day in paradise and I wonder if all the meditation and spiritual moments are to block out the noise coming from Kev.
    Regards Bobbert.

    ReplyDelete