Tuesday 19 July 2011

Kevs World!

I'm sure that someone told me that England was flat, might have been 2 bob leedham, no hills , no wee pinches, all downhill with a tailwind (yeah right!)

If you can manage to lift your eyes from the bitumen quite often you are greeted with speccy scenery, rolling hills, grazing livestock, magnificent old mansions and more bloody hills!

The over supply of no sign posts kept the Big blokes eye on the map reading job and I'm sure I picked up a few ozzie expletives from as far away as 6kms.

If it wasn't for the locals I'm sure we'd be just outside Moscow by now theve been very helpful - maybe the sight of 2 crying adults swayed their judgement!

The weather has been lest than kind to us so far and I can fully understand who the poms are whetting up to emigrate - 3 weeks in and maybe just maybe we've had 1 day of 20c, 6 days of riding so far have been wet. Our pommie suntans have been put on hold for a while.

So far the only diff between summer and winter that I can make out is sometimes sons during winter as the temp is the same!

It really is a beaut country with s huge variety of terrain and vistas incl quaint villages and narrow almost anorexic country lanes and lots of people with funny accents who can't believe that a couple of silly Old Aussies (mike officially became old of 14 July at 55) would ride the length of the UK.

I've never received so many weird looks from bar tenders when I order a pint of OJ I must grow 3 heads when I reach the bar. "do you want it with soda - how about cordial - no i want orange juice! If I ask for pepsi Max that would probably get up their noses even more.

It's been tough in stages but I've enjoyed every minute so far.

Best wishes to everyone in Oz I look forward to reading your comments on the blog - ps Bob - Mike and I have a rival day for mud Mtn in terms of a forgettable but memorable day no Red mud !

1 comment:

  1. Kev, despite the crappy weather, very pleased that you and Mike are enjoying the beautiful (if you can see it through the hedge rows and rain) English countryside. The best is yet to come once you get into the highlands of Scotland (but that's my bias).
    The weather here is also crappy at present, but can always beat a hasty retreat. I might get a wet backside today at the golf club. Oh hum!
    Keep on pedalling and enjoy!

    Winton

    ReplyDelete